Frequently Asked Questions
What are the physical requirements?
- If you would like to be a driver or an attendant, you must have vision in both eyes.
- Can not be an insulin dependent diabetic.
- Must possess all limbs.
- Blood pressure can not exceed 139/89.
Where do I apply to become a driver or an attendant?
- Our Administration building is at the intersection of Highway 17 and Highway 60 Bypass in Bartow.
- Applications are taken Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 3:30 PM.
- Our phone number is (863) 534-7300 or (863) 534-7298.
What should I bring with me?
- Drivers will need a certified copy of their lifetime driving record. You can obtain this at the Polk County Courthouse
in Bartow, or at one of the courthouse branch offices. There is a small fee.
- Drivers need their valid Florida Driver License.
- Attendants need their Driver License or a valid Florida State ID.
- Drivers and attendants need their Social Security card. (The Driver License or Florida State ID and the Social Security
Card must show the same last name).
- Drivers must bring a copy of their High School diploma or GED. (Ask about our "Driving for Education" program that lets
you work while you earn your GED.)
- Attendants must have transcripts showing completion of the 9th grade.
When will I know if I am eligible for training?
Each application is reviewed within the Operations Department. If your driving record and/or background check meet our
requirements, you will be notified to attend a group interview.
When are the classes held?
- Classes for drivers are held monthly at our Bartow Training Facility.
- Classes for attendants are held on an as needed basis.
How long will it be before I can start working?
- Driver training begins with 40 hours of classroom instruction.
- Total training time (including classroom) is usually 3-4 weeks.
- If you possess a class "A" or "B" CDL license with a passenger endorsement, your training time may be reduced.
- Attendant training begins with 20 hours of classroom instruction.
- Total training time (including classroom) is usually 1-2 weeks.
How much will I make an hour?
- All drivers begin as a substitute driver. The current pay is $10.00 an hour.
- Once you become an appointed driver, the starting pay, without experience, is currently $12.18 hourly plus benefits.
We also have a need for bus attendants who assist the drivers with students.
- All attendants begin as a substitute attendant. The current pay is $8.25 an hour.
- Once you become an appointed attendant, the pay, without experience, is currently $9.14 hourly plus benefits.
What are the benefits?
- Sick Leave
- Personal Leave
- Retirement Benefits
- CPR Training
- First Aid Training
- Extra pay for working school "Field Trips"
Back to top